Insch erected a parochial poorhouse in about 1853, financed by the poor rates. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The exact location of the premises is unknown but census listings indicate it was near to Market Green at the north of Insch village. In 1904, accommodation was available for two women.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
- James Madison Carpenter Collection includes several 1928 recordings of songs sung by Insch poorhouse inmates.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.