Kingussie & Insh, Inverness-shire
In around 1880, the parish of Kingussie and Insh erected a poorhouse or almshouse which was administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The building was located a mile or so to the east of Kingussie. It was not identified as a poorhouse by the Ordnance Survey map of 1901, but was named Laggan Cottage.
The census of 1881 included seven entries for "Laggan Cottages" with a total of seventeen people in residence. In 1904, the establishment was recorded as having accommodation for 7 men or women, with the inmates supervised by a resident nurse.
In the early 1990s, the now much-extended property was converted into holiday accommodation and renamed "The Auld Poor House".
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.