Leochel Cushnie, Aberdeenshire
Leochel Cushnie operated a parochial poorhouse or almshouse from at least the 1860s. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The building, a small cottage, was located at Ley, a mile or so to the north-east of Leochel Cushnie village. It is identified as a poorhouse on both the first edition Ordnance Survey map of c.1869 and the second edition map of c.1900.
Only the overgrown ruins of the building now survive.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.