Lochalsh, Ross and Cromarty
In about 1855, the parish of Lochalsh were given a property by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton of Balmacara for use as a poorhouse or almshouse. The establishment was administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The single-storey building was located at Auchtertyre, next to the village school. Its rooms were provided with a bed, bedding, grate and free fuel The 1881 census, which was described it as a "Parochial Lodging House", had 12 persons in residence ranging from a 78-year-old widow to a family with four small children. In 1904, it was recorded that the establishment could house 16 men or women.
The building has now been converted to a pair of houses known as "Tigh Bochd" and "Cluarn".
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.