Lochcarron, Ross and Cromarty
Lochcarron had a parochial poorhouse by at least 1875. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The building was located at the west end of Lochcarron village, on the shore of Loch Carron. The building is identified as a poorhouse on both the first edition (c.1875) and second edition (c.1904) Ordnance Survey maps, while the 1881 census describes it as the "West End Poors Lodging House".
The former poorhouse is now a private residence still known as 'Poor House'.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.