Lochs, Ross and Cromarty
According to the 1881 census, Lochs, on the island of Lewis, operated a parish poorhouse or almshouse. It was administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The establishment was at the eastern end of Crosbost (or Crossbost), near the Free Church Manse, although its exact location has yet to be verified.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.