In the latter part of the nineteenth century, the parish of Tough established a parochial poorhouse or almshouse. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
Although the building appears on the first edition Ordnance Survey map (c.1865) it is not identified as a poorhouse until the second edition of c.1900. The building was located about a mile to the north-east of the Kirkton of Tough in woodland known as Kirkton Moss.
The building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.