As a result of a gift, Aboyne and Glentanar opened a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in the late 1840s. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The building was located around a mile to the north-east of Aboyne and consisted of two long single-storey blocks. Ordnance Survey maps indicated a dozen small dwellings, eight in one block and four in the other. The 1881 census, on the other hand, includes nine entries for the site, including two dwellings marked as uninhabited.
In 1904, the establishment had accommodation for 22 persons.
The building still exists and is now known as Kirkton Cottages.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.