A parish workhouse was located at the southern end of Belmont Road in Uckfield.
Fletching had a parish workhouse, now converted to two cottages, at Splaynes Green.
Uckfield Poor Law Union was formed on 25th March 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 18 in number, representing its 11 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):
County of Sussex:
Buxted (2), Crowborough, Danehill, East Hoathley [Hoathly], Fletching (2), Framfield (2), Hadlow Down, Isfield, Little Horsted, Maresfield (2), Mayfield (2), Rotherfield (2), Uckfield (2), Waldron.
Later Additions: Crowborough (from 1895), Danehill (from 1898), Hadlow Down (from 1905).
The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 16,109 — with parishes ranging in size from Little Horsted (population 300) to Rotherfield (3,097) and Uckfield itself (1,261). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1831-34 had been £16,643 or £1.0s.8d. per head of the population.
A new Uckfield Union workhouse was built in 1838-9 at a site to the south of Uckfield. It was designed by HE Kendall who was also the architect of workhouses for the Hampstead and Trowbridge and Melksham Unions. His design at Uckfield was based on the model cruciform layout published by the Poor Law Commissioners in 1835. The Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £7,700 on construction of the building which was to accommodate 350 inmates. The site location and layout are shown on the 1875 OS map below:
The building was constructed in brick with its main ranges three storeys high.
The workhouse building no longer exists and housing now occupies the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- East Sussex Record Office, The Keep, Woollards Way, Brighton, BN1 9BP. Holdings include Guardians' minutes (1836-1930); Births register (1905-1930); Deaths register (1905-1930); Creed register (1917-30); Indoor relief lists (1851-1930); Register of children boarded out (1904-15); etc.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.