Maybole Combination, Ayrshire
The parishes of Maybole, Kirkmichael and Kirkoswald had agreed to build a poorhouse in 1848, but then used a temporary building until its demolition for railway purposes in around 1855. The building, located at the west side of School Green, is shown on the 1850s map below.
For several years thereafter the parishes sent paupers to the Rhins of Galloway poorhouse at Stranraer, but under pressure from the Board of Supervision, agreed to construct their own. In the early 1860s, the parishes of Barr, Dailly and Girvan joined the combination. The total population of the member parishes in 1881 was 18,704. Ardgour joined the Combination in around 1900.
The Maybole Combination poorhouse was erected in 1863 on Ladyland Road in Maybole. Its location and layout are shown on the 1938 below.
The building, designed by John Bowman, was a "substantial and competent building in the local pink stone". It could accommodate 48 inmates.
The poorhouse was closed after the First World War. Part of the buildings were converted into use as District Offices and Labour Exchange, and part into offices as offices for a local company. More recently, the buildings were used as a Youth Centre and a Welfare Centre. The main buildings, latterly known as Carrick House, were demolished in around 2000 although two single-storey blocks survive at the front of the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Ayrshire Archives, Watson Peat Building, SAC Auchincruive, Ayr KA6 5HW. Holdings include: Minute Books (1910-30);
- Thanks to Ayrshire archives for background information.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.