East Stonehouse, Devon
A parish workhouse was erected in 1801 on the south side of Clarence Place, East Stonehouse.
After 1834East Stonehouse Poor Law Parish, which covered an area at the west side of Plymouth, formally came into existence on 3rd January 1837. The Parish (rather than Union since it consisted only of the parish of East Stonehouse itself) was administered by an elected Board of ten Guardians. The population at the 1831 census had been 10,000 and the average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1834-36 had been £2,080 or 4s.2d. per head of the population.
The East Stonehouse Poor Law Parish took over the existing parish workhouse whose location and layout are shown on the 1907 map below.
The irregularly shaped site had board-room and offices fronting onto Clarence Place at the north. This was flanked by a dispensary and vagrant's ward to the east and a wash-house to the west. Women's accommodation was at the west of the internal yard, at the south of which were the kitchen and Master's quarters. Men's wards, a school and infirmary lay at the east. A stone-breaking yard was situated to the south of the site.
By 1939, the workhouse had become Clarence House hostel and casual wards. It is understood that that buildings may have been demolished following bombing in the Second World War. Housing now stands on the iste.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Devon Heritage Centre, Great Moor House, Bittern Road, Sowton Exeter EX2 7NL. Virtually no local records survive.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.