Westhampnett (or West Hampnett), Sussex
A parliamentary report of 1777 listed parish workhouses in operation at Aldingborne (with accommodation for up to 30 inmates), Barnham (14), Midlavant (12), North Mundham (16), Oving (12), and Selsey (35).
Westhampnett had a parish workhouse in a building that was erected in the 16th century. Kelly's Directory of 1887 described it as follows:
The spacious mansion-house, formerly called Westhampnett Place, but now used as the union house, is of ancient date and was rebuilt by Sir Hutchens Williams bart. who made it his residence. The back part of the house is Elizabethan and was possibly built by Richard Sackville; it was afterwards sold by Sir W Peere Williams to Charles, 3rd Duke of Richmond, who converted it to its present purpose.
The parishes of Yapton, Felpham, and Walberton formed a Gilbert Union in the 1780s, with a workhouse established at Yapton.
A property at the north of Graffham is known as the Old Poor House.
Westhampnett Poor Law Union was formed on 25th March, 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 45 in number, representing its 37 constituent parishes aslisted below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):
Aldingburn (2), Appledram, Barnham, Binderton, Binstead, Birdham (2), Boxgrove (2), East Dean, Donnington, Earnley, Eartham, Eastergate, Felpham, New Fishbourn, Graffham (until 1869), Hunston, West Itchenor, East Lavant, Mid-Lavant, Madehurst, Merston, Middleton, North Mundam, Oving (2), Pagham (2), Rumbold's Wyke, Sidlesham (2), Selsey (2), Singleton, West Stoke, Tangmere, Upwaltham, Walberton (2), Westhampnett, East Wittering, West Wittering, Yapton.
Later Additions: Bognor (from 1894), Portfield (from 1858), Slindon (from 1858).
The population falling within the union at the 1831 census had been 15,017 with parishes ranging in size from Middleton (population 35) to Sidlesham (1,002). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1831-34 had been £16,457 or £1.1s.11d. per head of the population.
The new Westhampnett Union continued to make use of the former parish workhouse at Westhampnett, with the Yapton workhouse briefly being used to accommodate children. It was substantially enlarged, for which the Poor Law Commissioners authorized the expenditure of £4,000. The site location and layout can be seen on the 1896 map below.
Most of the building was destroyed by a fire in 1899. Although parts of the structure were four storeys high, the presence of fire escapes resulted in virtually all the 115 inmates escaping without injury. The one fatality was a man in frail health who was described as dying of 'fright'. The inmates were immediately distributed among neighbouring institutions, including Chichester, Westbourne, Midhurst, Petworth, East Preston and Thakeham Workhouses, and terms were negotiated for their maintenance with the various unions. The Westhampnett Union continued to pay for people to be maintained at other union workhouses, especially Chichester, and the Westhampnett Workhouse was never rebuilt.
The surviving outbuildings were later used as an isolation hospital but none of these still exist.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- West Sussex Record Office, County Hall, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 1RN. Very few records survive — holdings include Guardians' minutes (1835-1930); etc.
- Thanks to West Sussex Record Office for information on post-fire arrangements.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.