The parishes of Ash and Normandy, Long Sutton, Puttenham, and Seale and Tongham were incorporated under Gilbert's Act of 1782 which allowed groups of parishes jointly to administer poor relief and to set up workhouses for the elderly and infirm and children. The agreement to form the Union was formally registered on 19th April, 1806. A workhouse was subsequently erected to the east of Ash on what is now Foxhills Lane.
Because of its status as a Gilbert Union, Ash fell outside most of the provisions of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act. It continued in operation until 1869 when all remaining Gilbert Unions were dissolved. The parishes were the distributed amongst the Farnham, Hartley Wintney, and Guildford Poor Law Unions.
The former Ash Union workhouse building no longer exists and modern housing stands on the site.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.