A Parliamentary report of 1776-7 listed parish workhouses at Boldre (accommodating 26), Brockenhurst (20), Lymington (50) and Milford (40). The Milford workhouse was at 8 High Street, a property now known as Bay Trees and providing B&B accommodation.
A parish workhouse also existed at Hordle, at the east side of Woodcock Lane.
Lymington Poor Law Union was formed on 18th May 1835. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 12 in number, representing its 6 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):
Boldre (3), Brockenhurst, Hordle, Lymington(4), Milford (2), Milton.
Later Additions: Pennington (from 1911), Rhinefield, Sway (from 1866).
The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 9,501 with parishes ranging in size from Hordle (population 699) to Lymington itself (3,361). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1831-34 had been £5,471 or 11s.6d. per head of the population.
A new union workhouse was erected in 1837 on New Street in Lymington. In 1835-6, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £4,500 on construction of the buildings which was to accommodate 200 inmates. The building was designed by Sampson Kempthorne and was based on his model "200-pauper" plan published by the Commissioners in 1836. The workhouse layout is shown on the 1860 map below.
The entrance block at the south contained a waiting hall, with a porter's room and search room to the left, and a bread room and lavatory to the right. On the first floor were the Guardians' board-room and clerk's office.
To the rear, men's and women's accommodation ranges stood to the east and west, originally linked to the front block by a dining-hall. By 1860, the school-rooms had been relocated, the boys to the south-east of the main building and the girls to a separate block at the east. A chapel was situated in the north range.00
The single-storey blocks around the perimeter of the main building were utility rooms and workshops. Along the west (women's) side were a wash-house and laundry. A detached infirmary stood at the east of the workhouse. It was replaced by a new building in 1928.
From around 1904, the birth certificates of those born in the workhouse did not indicate this, so as not to stigmatise such people in later life. Instead, just an anonymous street address was given — in this case, the place of birth was recorded just as 20 New Street, Lymington.
In more recent times, the site became Lymington Infirmary. The hospital closed in 2004 for the site to be redeveloped.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Hampshire Record Office, Sussex Street, Winchester SO23 8TH. Very few records survive — holdings Creed register (1924-51); Punishment book (1914-45); etc.
- Lymington Infirmary from the Poor Law to the NHS by James Cannon.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.