West London School District
The School District Board first met on 2nd April 1868, and on 9th October that year accepted the plans of HH Collins for a school for 800 children. The school was built in 1869-72 at the west side of District Road, now Woodthorpe Road, at Ashford near Staines.
The main building comprised a large central administrative block with long narrow wings to each side, one for boys and one for girls. The site location and layout are shown on the 1935 map below.
A chapel was located at the eastern end of the main building.
A boiler-house, laundry and farm lay at the south of the school, and an infirmary to the south-west.
In 1930, the site was taken over by the London County Council. The school was finally closed in 1955. The buildings have all been demolished and there is now modern housing on the eastern part of the site. The remainder is occupied by HM Prison Bronzefield, a purpose-built and privately-run women's prison opened in 2004.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
The Ancestry website has two collections of London workhouse records:
- The London Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records (1738-1930) are searchable by name.
- The Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 are more extensive but only provide browsable page images.
- The FindMyPast website has workhouse / poor law records for Westminster.
London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.
- Hammersmith Guardians: Children in the West London School District (1870-1931)
- Westminster Guardians: Ashford School register of children (1872-1912)
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.