Millfield Seaside Home, Rustington, Sussex
The Millfield Seaside Home (later Millfield Hospital) was seaside sanatorium for the treatment of up to 120 children suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis operated by the Metropolitan Asylums Board. It opened on 6th April, 1904, and was located at Rustington near Littlehampton in Sussex. The site location and layout are shown on the 1912 map below.
Treatments provided included sea-bathing and balneo-therapy (a form of hydrotherapy).
The westernmost building was known as "B" Block.
In 1930, control of the Home passed to the London County Council. It closed in 1948 and the site is now a housing estate.
The Ancestry website has two collections of London workhouse records (both:
- The London Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records (1764-1930).
- The Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1930 — a wider range of London workhouse-related records.
- The FindMyPast website has workhouse / poor law records for Westminster.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.
- Ayers, Gwendoline, M. (1971) England's First State Hospitals and the Metropolitan Asylums Board (Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine, London).
- Powell, Sir Allan (1930) The Metropolitan Asylums Board and its Work, 1867-1930. (MAB, London)
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.