Castletowndelvin, Co. Westmeath
Castletowndelvin (now known as Delvin) was one of the new Poor Law Unions created in Ireland between 1848 and 1850. Castletowndelvin Union formally came into existence on 9th August 1850, and was the last union ever created in Ireland. It was formed from parts of the existing Mullingar, Oldcastle and Kells Unions and occupied an area of 116 square miles. In 1905, it comprised the following electoral divisions:
Co. Westmeath: Ballinlough, Ballyhealy, Ballynaskeagh, Bracklin, Clonarney, Collinstown, Copperally, Delvin, Faughalstown, Fore East, Fore West, Hilltown, Kilcumny, Killua, Killulagh, Kilpatrick, Kinturk, Riverdale and Rosemead,
The Guardians met each week on Fridays at noon.
The new Castletowndelvin Union workhouse was erected in 1850-52 on an 12-acre site half a mile to the south-east of Castletowndelvin. Designed by the Poor Law Commissioners' architect George Wilkinson, the building was based on one of his standard designs to accommodate 400 inmates. Its construction cost £5,200 plus £885 for fittings etc. The workhouse location and layout are shown on the 1914 map below.
Like its contemporaries at Donaghmore, Borrisokane and Mountbellew, the workhouse had two long blocks at the front linked by a central entrance archway. To the rear was a T-shaped block with the central chapel running towards the entrance.
The workhouse buildings were damaged during the early 1920s. The site is now occupied by housing.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Meath County Library, Railway Street, Navan, Co. Meath.
- The Workhouses of Ireland by John O'Connor (Anvil Books, 1995) [Note that Castletowndelvin is misspelt throughout this book as "Castletowndevlin"]
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.