The Pinewood Sanatorium, Wokingham
In 1898, the newly formed National Association for the Prevention of Tuberculosis acquired an 82-acre site in the middle of woodlands at Bagshot Sands near Wokingham. New buildings were erected at a cost of £40,000 and the hospital opened in 1901. Operating under the name of the London Open Air Sanatorium, it could then accommodate sixty-four male patients.
The main ward buildings formed a south-facing arc and comprised a medical residence at the centre flanked by two-storey wings. Each wing had 16 rooms on each floor with large windows providing patients with light and ventilation. A corridor at the rear gave access to lavatories and a small kitchen. A dining-hall was placed at the rear of the central medical residence which also served as a recreation room. The kitchens and female staff accommodation lay to the north, beyond which were placed the laundry, disinfecting rooms, and boiler-house. An isolation block was placed to the east for cases of acute exanthemata. Patients typically stayed at the sanatorium for at least six months paying a weekly charge of three guineas.
In June, 1919, the sanatorium was taken over by the Metropolitan Asylums Board who were expanding their provsion for TB cases. It was renamed the Pinewood Sanatorium and its capacity expanded to 160 beds.
The hospital closed in around 1965.
The Ancestry website has two collections of London workhouse records:
- The London Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records (1738-1930) are searchable by name.
- The Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930 are more extensive but only provide browsable page images.
- The FindMyPast website has workhouse / poor law records for Westminster.
- London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB.
- Ayers, Gwendoline, M. (1971) England's First State Hospitals and the Metropolitan Asylums Board (Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine, London).
- Powell, Sir Allan (1930) The Metropolitan Asylums Board and its Work, 1867-1930. (MAB, London)
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.