Long Island, Inverness-shire
Long Island Combination comprised the 4 parishes of Barra, Harris, North Uist and South Uist. In 1881, the parishes had a combined population of 17,317. In 1882-3, a Combination poorhouse designed by Kinnear and Peddie was erected at the north of Lochmaddy on North Uist. The building was a substantial structure with an E-shaped plan. Its location and layout are shown on the 1870s OS map below:
In 1907, the poorhouse was converted for use as an asylum for 28 'harmless lunatics'. Additions to the buildings were made in 1927 to designs by D Cattanach. An infirmary stood to the south-west of the main building with a mortuary to its west.
After 1930, it was known as Long Island Institution and served the whole of the Outer Hebrides except Lewis. In 1946, it had 60 beds including 18 for the chronic sick and the remainder for certified mental cases. A report at that time noted that two bare rooms served as day rooms and dining rooms, and that staff quarters were on the first floor.
The building later became Lochmaddy Hospital which finally closed in around 2001. In 2004, the buildings stood empty.
- (To be added)
- (To be added)
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals. Before travelling a long distance, always check that the records you want to consult will be available.
- Hebridean Archives, Lews Castle, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis HS2 0XS. Various papers (1875-1942) including minute books, letter books, cash books.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.