New Machar, Aberdeenshire
New Machar erected a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in 1854, financed by the poor rates. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The premises consisted of a row of four cottages on Disblair Road in the village of Summerhill (renamed Newmachar in 1928 to avoid confusion with an area of Aberdeen also called Summerhill). In 1904, the poorhouse could accommodate five men and five women, together with an 'attendant'. The minutes of the Parochial Board and Parish council reveal a number of interesting facets in the establishment's history. In 1890, its well ran dry and had to be deepened. In 1897, a mangle was bought at a cost of 32 shillings. In the same year, in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, each of the poorhouse's ten adult residents received a special gratuity of 2s.6d.
The building was demolished in the 1960s.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.