Rhynie erected a parochial poorhouse or almshouse in around 1864. It was locally administered rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The property was located just to the north-west of Rhynie village and is identified as a poorhouse on both the Ordnance Survey first edition (approximately 1870) and second edition (approximately 1901) maps.
The map evidence indicates that the building was divided into four dwellings. In 1904, the establishment had accommodation for 4 men, 4 women, and 4 children.
The building no longer exists.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Aberdeen City Archives, Town House, Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1AQ, and Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.