Urquhart, Ross and Cromarty
In the 1881 census, the parish of Urquhart (also known as Logie Wester) had two parochial poorhouses or almshouses. Such establishments were administered by the Parochial Board rather than operating as a statutory poorhouse under the central Board of Supervision.
The first of these poorhouses was recorded as being at Balvaird. The second, noted as in the process of being built, was identified as being at 44 Conon Bridge.
A survey in 1904 recorded that Urquhart's parish almshouse was could house 2 men and 7 women under the care of a matron.
Note: many repositories impose a closure period of up to 100 years for records identifying individuals.
- Highland Archive Service, Bught Road, Inverness IV3 5SS, Scotland.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.