- Charles, James Chelsea Workhouse: A Bible Reading (Our Poor) (1877) - in this unusually lyrical portrayal of a workhouse, a group of elderly female inmates sit at a table, bathed in sunshine. Some drink tea while one of their number reads from the bible.
- Cope, Charles West Poor Law Guardians: Board Day Application for Bread (1841), was based on a visit to a meeting of the Staines Board of Guardians. It, shows a young widow pleading for relief for her four children.
- Luke Fildes Houseless and Hungry and Applicants for Admission to a Casual Ward
- Clement Flower Sunday Music for the Indigent Poor
- Hubert von Herkomer Old Age — A Study at the Westminster Union and Eventide
- Hubert von Herkomer Christmas In A Workhouse
- Thomas Rowlandson St James Workhouse, 1809.
- The Lurgan Workhouse Mural, 2006.
Unless otherwise indicated, this page () is copyright Peter Higginbotham. Contents may not be reproduced without permission.